Thursday, August 21, 2008

First Live Citation

On Monday appeared my paper written with He and Lukas, entitled "An Abundance of Heterotic Vacua" [I tried to put forth something more irreverent like "Get Your Fill of Heterotic Vacua," playing on the full/empty contradiction, or "Heterotic Bundles All Over the Place," to convey the image of some kind of orgy, but some of my collaborators were not so hot about it...]. Given that Ron Donagi was giving a talk on Tuesday at Strings 08 about "Heterotic Standard Models," the eventuality that he would mention our paper was non-negligible. Indeed, his last slide contained a reference that slightly differed from the other by its typography, indicating its late addition. It was just cryptically reading: "[GHL]." Ron undertook to enumerate the authors: "He, Lukas, and... [I was getting excited]... errmmm... I can't remember, never mind."

Great! Thanks Ron! Two thumbs up! :-P
So close to my first live citation, and yet so far...

However I got my revenge today, during Hermann Verlinde's talk on "Holographic Gauge Mediation." I arrived late to that talk because I had already heard it at Eurostrings, so I wasn't following with great attention. I suddenly woke up when I saw my name on the screen: "cf. Gabella, Gherghetta, Giedt." My first paper from my Master project in Minneapolis!

That was a pleasant feeling to have the impression to participate to a collective research effort. (My joy was soon to be a bit tempered by the fact that he then kept referring to us as "some phenomenologists" (in which he wasn't completely wrong, I have to confess...)).

No comments: